As a Senior Developer you not only take part in the Zarafa development team, but you also improve the way we use distributed agile and scrum development, continuous delivery, modern tooling and software processes. You actively interact as architect discussing issues with testing, product managers and technical support. You act as our technology diplomat for our international development teams in India and Brazil. Your assignment, should you dare take on this exciting challenge, will carry you on to new heights and provide the next quantum leap of your career.
The Zarafa WebApp is the latest addition to our product suite, the new generation groupware software (single page web application) which will replace desktop clients. Based on Sencha ExtJS, it incorporates Ajax/JSON extensively to communicate with the MAPI/PHP backend. The complete code is open source and offers an extensive API to the community, as well as a public plugin framework, for extending the platform to integrate with other software products via protocols like WebRTC, XMPP, etc.
What makes this role so unique?
As a young, dynamic and rapidly growing company, the Zarafa brand has acquired quite an international following. We work worldwide with Linux engineers and developers from many leading (open source) organizations. Even more exciting is that many longtime Linux gurus and well-known specialists in the field are regularly in contact with us. Leveraged by this outside support, Zarafa continues to tackle common technology challenges, where external people come up with new solutions or contribute new testing on additional platforms. We are committed to test completely all of our releases before they are made available and rolled out at customer sites.
We at Zarafa foster a hands-on culture where we focus on end-to-end solutions rather than just solving low-level isolated problems. Zarafa has a non-hierarchical flat organization where the “individual” is key in influencing new product development. You feel proud that your contributions are being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world, and that many developers in different countries in different cultures speaking a multitude of languages provide feedback and expand on your efforts.
Why is this role so amazing?
- You develop yourself further in a broad range of technical and non-technical aspects;
- You collaborate and exchange ideas with skilled colleagues and Linux experts at Zarafa and beyond;
- You influence software development processes, continuous improvement and organizational growth;
- You have a global impact on the open source community, enjoy Hackathons and Pizza Coding Sessions;
- You attend talks/presentations at renowned gatherings; and,
- You undergo personal growth through training, monthly coaching and bi-yearly reviews.
You are positive, perseverant and influential. Communicating in groups and giving informal inhouse presentations is second nature and fun. You are eager to learn and expand upon your experience in developing complex web-based applications. You get energized by learning new stuff and actively following the latest-and-greatest technology trends. You are interested in the open source community and would like to support it through contributing and sharing new knowledge.
Your Knowledge and experience
The following skills are required:
- Extensive experience in developing complex applications and solving hard-to-crack technical issues;
- Analytical skills and capable of forming independent problem definitions;
- Translating user requirements to technical architecture (specification by example);
- Proactive, able to multi-task, a let’s-get-the-job-done mentality;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and (optionally) in Dutch;
- Good grasp of Linux at the system level;
- Thorough knowledge of compatibility, optimization, caching, compression, minification; and,
- Knowledge of internationalization and localization (i18n).
The following skills though not required would be advantageous:
- Experience with MVC web framework (ExtJS, AngularJS, Backbone.js, Ember.js or similar);
- Experience with Agile and Scrum, user stories and the definition of done;
- Demonstrable activity in one or more open source projects;
- Knowledge of Zarafa Collaboration Platform; or,
- Knowledge of groupware products: Apache, Postfix, MAPI, etc.
Career Level: Mid-career+
Experience: 5+ years (commercial)
Education: University or equivalent (WO/HBO)
Job Type: Full-time Employee (36-40h/w)
No (recruitment) agencies please