Zarafa is looking for a senior software developer to strengthen our Software Development Team in Delft, The Netherlands.
As a senior developer you will enjoy a creative, challenging and collaborative environment where your ideas and solutions are not only being valued, there are several sessions offered where you are expected to take initiative and influence the technology behind the product.
Since we are working with a complex codebase, it is in your nature to have quality in the back of your mind. Together with QA engineers, you take additional steps to make sure that a fixed bug remains fixed in the future.
Zarafa Collaboration Platform (ZCP) is our core technology suite we use as the foundation for many other products that we provide. Based on C++ and Python components, ZCP’s open core delivers the solid basis for MAPI clients, such as our Zarafa WebApp. ZCP delivers a full suite of scalable and high-performing components, based on the only open source MAPI implementation on the market. It consists of different, modularly architected components, such as for sending, delivering e-mails or for providing interfaces such as IMAP, POP3 and many more to the Zarafa Server. Using industry-standard and enterprise-grade components, like system-installed LDAP and MySQL client libraries, we make sure our code is as compatible as possible – currently supporting any major, well-known Linux distribution.
What makes this role so unique?
As a young, dynamic and rapidly growing company, the Zarafa brand has acquired quite an international following. We work worldwide with Linux engineers and developers from many leading (open source) organizations. Even more exciting is that many longtime Linux gurus and well-known specialists in the field are regularly in contact with us. Leveraged by this outside support, Zarafa continues to tackle common technology challenges, where external people come up with new solutions or contribute new testing on additional platforms. We are committed to test completely all of our releases before they are made available and rolled out at customer sites.
We at Zarafa foster a hands-on culture where we focus on end-to-end solutions rather than just solving low-level isolated problems. Zarafa is a flat organization where the “individual” is key in influencing new product development. You feel proud that your contributions are being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world, and that many developers in different countries in different cultures speaking a multitude of languages provide feedback and expand on your efforts.
Why is this role so amazing?
- You develop yourself further in a broad range of technical and non-technical aspects;
- You collaborate and exchange ideas with skilled colleagues and Linux experts at Zarafa and beyond;
- You influence software development processes, continuous improvement and organizational growth;
- You have a global impact on the open source community, enjoy Hackathons and Pizza Coding Sessions;
- You attend talks/presentations at renowned gatherings; and,
- You undergo personal growth through training, monthly coaching and bi-yearly reviews.
- a master degree in computer science or related fields, alternatively comparable experience
- Object oriented programming (C++, Python)
- Excellent working attitude, problem solving, critical thinking and communication skills
- Having your own (opensource) project(s)
- Analytical and proactive
Familiar/affinity with some of the following areas:
- SOAP / gSOAP
- Databases (MySQL/MariaDB and/or MongoDB)
- MAPI / RPC, ICS
- RPM/DEB packaging
- Mail services (SMTP/LMTP), RFC822
- Continuous integration / delivery (Jenkins/Hudson)
Your knowledge and experience
The following skills are required:
- Extensive experience in developing complex applications and solving hard-to-crack technical issues;
- Analytical skills and capable of forming independent problem definitions;
- Translating user requirements to technical architecture (specification by example);
- Proactive, able to multi-task, a let’s-get-the-job-done mentality;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and (optionally) in Dutch or German;
- Good grasp of Linux at the system level;
- Thorough knowledge of OO concepts in modern languages (at least C/C++, Python);
- Thorough knowledge of compatibility, optimization, caching, compression, simplification;
The following skills though not required would be advantageous:
- Experience with Agile and Scrum, user stories and working with a definition of done;
- Knowledge of lower-level debugging utilities, such as gdb and strace;
- Experience with code detection & sanitation products, such as valgrind or coverity
- Knowledge of internationalization and localization (i18n);
- Demonstrable activity in one or more open source projects;
- Knowledge of Zarafa Collaboration Platform;
- Knowledge of groupware products: Apache, NGINX, Postfix, MAPI, etc.
- Career Level: Mid-career+
- Experience: 5+ years (commercial)
- Education: University or equivalent (WO)
- Job Type: Full-time employee (36-40h/w)
If the position of “Senior Backend Developer” appeals to you, please contact Heleen van Beek (015-2517715), HR manager at Zarafa, or fill out the form.
No (recruitment) agencies please