Troubleshooting Upgrade

From Zarafa wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Upgrade to Zarafa 6.40

Here are my notes after a multi-server upgrade from 6.30.x to 6.40.x

- First update the Zarafa server, then the clients

- Make backups of everything (esp. /etc/zarafa, the MySQL DB, maybe the old binaries and share folders)

- Install updates via your supported update system (rpm or whatever)

- Transfer the congfiguration items from the old server.cfg to a copy of the new one (a lot of stuff has been added or removed so it is not advisable to just edit the old server.cfg)

- Do the same for your ldap.cfg or other ldap conf file if you use ldap

- Do not forget to copy the new zarafa.schema from /usr/share/doc into your ldap schema directory

- Restart your ldap server afterwards to make the new schema entries usable

- For commercial Zarafa: convert your licenses or have them converted by your vendor

We solved the following problems encountered:

- After upgrading, zarafa said something like "not enough licenses for users..."

Solution: Server did not recognize nonactive users (shared stores, resources etc) as in the new ldapms.cfg there was an empty default setting for ldap_nonactive_attribute which must be set to "zarafaSharedStoreOnly"

- Next problem: All users present, but empty stores. All found via "zarafa-admin --list orphans".

Problem: we had a non-default setting for the unique user identifier (different from uidNumber), so without changing this default zarafa would read out a different attribute form ldap than before and therefore could not match the existing stores with the existing users

- Next problem: After solving this, we restored the database to re-apply the database update. Did not work as it could not create two tables already present after the first update.

Solution: Table names appeared clearly in the log, so we deleted these emtpy tables via mysql command line and restarted the server, update worked then. But beware: only use mysql CLI commands if you know what you do!

- Zarafa complained about a missing plugin configuration file. This turned out to be the file ldap.propmap.cfg which we had moved away together with other files, not knowing that it was part of the current 6.40. configuration.

Personal tools