Congrats to @campainl for winning the partner of the year award! Thanks guys for the close collaboration this year! http://t.co/8VYUVDf5ho
The Best Open Source Email & Collaboration Software
Delft, The Netherlands, June 26, 2009 – The number of Zarafa’s partners and customers visiting the yearly Zarafa Technology Summit has more than doubled since the start in 2007. Against the trend of decreasing events in 2009, Zarafa partners felt the synergy of a powerful ecosystem.
More than 250 partners, customers and developers gathered for three days together at the yearly Summercamp conference. Integrations and innovations were discussed to extend the ecosystem in areas such as archiving, document management and mobility. An example of a community
achievement is the new Google Android platform compatibility, finalized during the Summercamp.
"During Summercamp the Z-push team could adapt Z-push to fully support the Android platform. For Zarafa Groupware Server users, this means that they can synchronize their email, calendar, contacts and tasks with Android mobile devices. Again Zarafa is the first Open Source Groupware Solution delivering a complete support of a new mobile platform." said Brian Joseph, CEO of Zarafa.
Zarafa customers such as departments of ministries and ICT directors of hospitals shared how they migrated to open source solutions. Many ecosystem partners, like Red Hat, SugarCRM and Alfresco also shared their vision at this event.
“Going open source, I want to save more than € 1 million per year on licenses,” said Gerrit Krediet, ICT director of Antonius Hospital, that migrates with 5000 users to Zarafa. Attendees from many countries like Germany, Italy, Brazil, France and even some from the United States were inspired by
the clear approach used by this hospital.
“This growing Ecosystem shows there is an opportunity for change. There is an important role out there for vendors and integrators to help the customer through this change. We see that the unique combination of Open, Compatible and Enterprise solutions will be the driver for change at larger
organizations. Many can deliver one of them. Some, like Zarafa, can deliver the combination of three”, says Helmuth Neuberger, VP Business Development at Zarafa.
Zarafa is the fastest growing commercial Linux-based groupware company in Europe that enables Linux servers to share Outlook calendar and e-mail and allows web-based access by means of an AJAX-based web client. Many governments and corporations run with Zarafa.
It is the only groupware platform that includes open source ActiveSync compatibility, which enables organizations to have remote synchronization and pushmail for Windows Mobile, Google Android, Nokia’s Mail for Exchange and iPhones. Zarafa also offers full integration with the Blackberry Enterprise Server.
Zarafa’s head office is in Delft, The Netherlands and the company also has offices in Stuttgart (DE), Hannover (DE), Paris (FR) and Belo Horizonte (Brazil). Zarafa is the Arabic word for giraffe. Like a giraffe, Zarafa has the overview in the landscape of other applications to collaborate together in an open and friendly way.
For more information contact:
Heleen van Beek, Communication & Marketing
+31 1 52517710, email@example.com
Addendum – More detailed information
Gerrit Krediet, presenting his reference case from
The first day of the Summercamp consisted of technical and commercial trainings, aimed at increasing participants’ knowledge of the Zarafa groupware ecosystem. The program on the second and third day allowed contributors to share their experiences, with the aim of ensuring the Summercamp was the next step to the Open Enterprise.
1. Sander Mittertreiner, from the Dutch Patent Office and Yves Fonk from AT Computing shared the pilot case of the Dutch Patent Office to go Open Source. Steered by the Ministry of Economic Affairs, this department is the pilot and reference project for the Dutch Government to go open source.
2. Florian Haas, Partner Manager at Linbit made a notable presentation on the perfect solution for Zarafa high availability; setting up high availability email solution including MySQL, Postfix and LDAP.
3. Under the title “Scaling up Zarafa to the Millions”, Mark Ruijter from SaaSplaza informed his audience on how you can configure and set up highly scalable Zarafa hosting platform, which has advanced security certifications with single sign on configuration.
4. During Summercamp the Z-push team could adapt Z-push to fully support the Android platform. For Zarafa Groupware Server users this means that they can synchronize their email, calendar, contacts and tasks with Android mobile devices. Again Zarafa is the first Open Source Groupware Solution delivering a complete support of a new mobile platform. “Zarafa is the Open Source vendor who now supports Blackberry, iPhone and Android. And what is even more special, Zarafa supports all this natively without the need for installation on the handheld,” says Michiel Steltman, CTO of SaaSplaza, one of the leading B2B hosters of Europe.
5. Sessions from Zarafa’s Milo Oostergo, Andreas Rösler, Steve Hardy and Sebastian Kummer ranged from demonstrations on how to set up a new 6.30 multi server Zarafa environment, to building widgets in PHP and a technical session on Wipe support for Z-push.
6. Thomas Uhl, founder of Openmapi foundation gave an informative talk on the progress of the Openmapi project. Interesting parts of this can be combined with the Zarafa solution, such as open archive. “I think Exchange 2010 will catalyze more than ever the relevance and opportunities of Openmapi”.
This year’s sponsors:
- Alfresco presented their Document Management Solution. A special brainstorm session was devoted to integration between groupware and Alfresco;
- SugarCRM presented the integration with Zarafa, that was already announced as Project of the Month at Sugarforce, the SugarCRM Community Portal;
- Red Hat, who demonstrated among others, KVM, their new virtualization platform;
- Linbit on high availability setups with Zarafa;
- MailSpect on state of the art Archiving solutions;
- Collax and Synaptor on all-in-one solutions;
- SaaSplaza on a next generation hosting platform.
Some of the award winners (from left to right: Jan Guldentops from Better
Access; Brechtel Wancour from RealDomen; Robert Scheck; Hanc de Bokx and
Denie Andriesen from Bokxing.)
After a day of presentations and hands-on sessions, the participants deserved the impressive Friday evening awards dinner. Six awards were presented and the worthy winners are:
1. Greatest number of Zarafa installations: Hanc de Bokx from Bokxing in The Netherlands.
2. Best Open Source/Community Contribution: Robert Scheck from Germany.
3. Best Integration Contribution/Installations: Robert de Geus from Toltech in The Netherlands.
4. Partner of the Year went to Brechtel Wancour from Realdolmen in Belgium. They have already won several large public tenders.
5. Partner providing most feedback to Zarafa: Roland Slagter from Campai in The Netherlands.
6. Zarafa Evangelist of the year: Jan Guldentops from Better Access in Belgium.
The full programme of the Summercamp can be found at:
and photographs and presentations:
Read here the official press release.